GOQii fitness band is currently the best selling fitness tracker in India.
Despite it’s lower price tag (as compared with Fitbit or Garmin), it comes with a lot of advanced functionalities.
In this article, I will be reviewing the GOQii Vital Fitness band. Everything covered here is also true for the other version of the band – GOQii HR. The difference between HR and Vital is that Vital comes with blood pressure tracker and is water-proof.
- GOQii, India's largest preventive healthcare service now brings to you...
- GOQii VITAL tracks your blood pressure, heart rate, exercise log, calories...
- Blood Pressure Monitor measures your systolic and diastolic blood pressure....
- Separate charger is not required. USB integrated charger present on device....
- Waterproof and swim friendly. Battery lasts up to 7 days
The GOQii fitness band has been designed and launched by an Indian entrepreneur (Vishal Gondal) based in the Silicon Valley.
He was also the founder of a couple of Gaming companies in the past.
In case you’re interested, below is his story on why he founded the GOQii band and how it differentiates from other fitness bands in the market.
I have tried multiple fitness bands in the past 3 years and I have been using the GOQii life fitness band for last 5 months now.
When you buy a GOQii fitness band, you can use it just like any other fitness band to track activity and sync it with your smartphone. Along with this, you also get a first 3 months subscription to use their personal coaching.
I took the GOQii fitness band with a 6-month subscription.
If you really want to see a positive change in your health with this fitness band, I recommend you at least try the 6-month subscription of the GOQii band.
This is because it takes time for your body to adjust to your eating and sleeping habits.
The GOQii health coach encourages you to make important dietary changes, workout and sleeping patterns so it is necessary to continue working with the coach for at least six months.
If you follow your coach guidelines for six months you will ingrain the habits of a healthy lifestyle. Based on my experience so far, I have found GOQii coaches to be a specialist in health, fitness, diet, and exercise.
My GOQii subscription will come to an end next month and I have found it to be value for money.
I was able to lose 12 Kgs of weight, reduced my waist size and most importantly have attained good habits to live a healthy lifestyle instead of a sedentary lifestyle.
Note: You don’t need to take the personal coaching subscription. Even without it, you can use the GOQii fitness band to track activity.
The GOQii App is compatible with both Android and iOS.
When you download the GOQii App on your smartphone, you will get an option to select your fitness coach depending upon your requirements.
I was given an option to select one out of the four female coaches to guide me. Each Coach has a brief summary mentioned in their profile highlighting their education, medical degrees, and specialization.
I chose my fitness coach who specialized in Exercise Physiology and Nutrition.
Since my main purpose was to shed a few kilos, I selected this specific coach so that she can help me in my exercise routine and guide me in my eating habits.
As you can see in the profile of the coach, she specializes in nutrition and weight management.
Working with the fitness coach was a great experience. She first spent some time trying to understand my entire routine and my goals.
She then advised me to start with small improvements in my daily routine so that my eating habits and physical activity can get changed over a period of time.
She explained to me that slowly but steadily we will make the changes and we will be able to meet our fitness goals. The point she was trying to make here was that if she tells a person to make 10 changes in our daily activities and diet in one day then it would be very difficult for the person to follow all these changes.
But if you ask a person to follow 1-2 activities during the day for a period of 3 weeks those things become a habit. For example, I told her that I usually drink four cups of tea every day and she told me to reduce 1 cups of tea per day and replace it with one cup of green tea for a period of 3 weeks.
Once I am able to follow this then I will reduce two more cups of regular tea and will replace it with Green tea. This is a brilliant approach to make a change in our daily lifestyle and make it a long-term habit.
And the best part of using the GOQii app is that your fitness coach keeps a track of your daily activities and they keep a regular interaction with you on their App.
GOQii Fitness Band Features
Apart from the regular features like step counter, calorie counter, heart rate etc. the band comes with a variety of other features listed below:
- Goal setting: You can set up your fitness goals in the app – such as total step counts.
- Reminders: Very helpful for those who need to be reminded every 2-3 hours to eat and drink water at regular intervals or take a break and stretch or walk around.
- Syncs easily with a smartphone: The GOQii fitness band vibrates and displays if you receive any calls, texts or WhatsApp messages on your phone.
- Useful content in the App: Yuu get regular health and fitness articles on the mobile app to help you be more aware and self-motivated.
- Tracks sleep: It tracks your sleep automatically. For this, you need to wear it while sleeping.
- Allows you to log your data: You can log your water intake, food, and other activities like running, swimming etc. that you’ve done during the day.
- Water Proof: GOQii Vital fitness band is waterproof and swimmer friendly.
- Karma Points: You get Karma Points when you meet your fitness goals. You can use these points to donate towards a good cause towards society. Personally, I find this a fantastic initiative by GOQii to help the society.
- Health Locker: Health Locker feature allows you to add and store your health records in their App either by uploading it directly. If you have a medical report from Thyrocare you can directly add the report by entering the Order number.
- Doctor Consultation: Last but not the least you can also consult with a doctor via this app. The doctor has the access to your reports via the App and your profile – your weight, height, age etc. You can easily book a consultation call with a doctor using the GOQii app. GOQii doesn’t recommend consulting with their doctors for an emergency.
GOQii Band Charging
One of the most important things where GOQii scores over other similar fitness trackers in the market is its battery back-up.
The battery easily lasts for 2 weeks (Fitbit starts with 5 days, but you can end up charging it every 3 days).
I usually sync it with my phone couple of times during my day and I only need to charge it once in 2 weeks. It has an inbuilt charger that you can simply plug it into the USB port of your laptop or power bank for 2-3 hours and its good to go for the next 2 weeks.
Image Source: GOQii Official Website
The GOQii Strap is made of silicone material to give the smooth and comfortable fitting. I have been using it for five months and I don’t see any warping or bubbling in the strap (which is often the case with other similar fitness bands in India).
The best part is that you can actually remove the tracker from the band to clean the moist and sweat that the band has taken after your workout, running or walking.
The GOQii Blog is also an excellent resource to gather knowledge on various subjects.
From diet and nutrition to physical exercises and stress management, GOQii publishes various articles on their blog that you can access right from your smartphone.
Even if you’re not a GOQii user, I still recommend checking out their blog.
GOQii Fitness Band – Pros and Cons
Since I have been using fitness bands for quite some time, here is my assessment of the areas where the GOQii fitness band excels and areas that can be better.
- Heart Rate monitor is not accurate: To be honest, none of the fitness trackers in the market can be taken to be 100% accurate when it comes to heart rate. GOQii fitness band is as accurate as it can get and is meant for people with high activity levels – such as athletes and swimmers.
- The display of the band in bright sunlight is not good. You will struggle to see anything in bright sunlight.
- Although the app is quite good, I feel it could have been more user-friendly. You have an option to manually log your food and water intake, activities such as running, cycling, swimming etc. It has an inbuilt mechanism which calculates the calories burned depending upon the time you input for these activities.
- You need to be careful when charging the band. It has an inbuilt USB charger that you can plug into a laptop or power bank. However, it’s a bit delicate and can break if you handle it roughly.
GOQii Fitness Band Price
I must admit that GOQii is one of the best fitness bands in India.
It’s currently priced much below the expensive ones like Garmin and Fitbit.
Although the expensive fitness bands such as Garmin, Fitbit and TomTom offer more advanced features like GPS, heart rate monitoring, better display, alarm vibrator etc., if you’re looking for a great fitness tracker under 5000, GOQii is a no-brainer.
With a price range of less than Rs. 5000, I believe this fitness band offers true value for money.
On Amazon, it’s currently the best selling fitness tracker in India.
Is GOQii the Right Fitness Band for you?
If you are someone who is looking for ways to make a change in your lifestyle and need a trainer to push you then this is absolutely the right band for you.
What really sets GOQii apart from other fitness bands is the personal coaching feature. A band, at the end of the day, is only a tracker. The real impact of it comes when you’re able to adopt a better lifestyle, and personal coaching feature of GOQii makes it easy to do this.
However if are already an active runner, swimmer, regular gym-er, athlete or any other sports fanatic and need to monitor your heart rates, step count and other activities you should definitely check out some other advanced bands like Fitbit, Garmin, Samsung, and Sony etc.